Friday, December 10, 2010

Found This Band, "Empire Records" Edition, Part 1: Chainsaw Kittens


I was watching “Empire Records” one day when it occurred to me that the movie is just one long obscure popculture reference. I suppose when I was young I just thought that the posters in the background were for made up bands, or something like that. It’s possible though that I knew it was all real, but obscure=imaginary to a ten-year old.


So I started looking in the background at posters to see if I recognized anything. I didn’t recognize a whole lot. But I caught this pretty obvious one staring me in the face midway through the movie:



Ethan Embry wearing a T-shirt that says “Chainsaw Kittens”. It sounded vaguely familiar, so I Wikipedia’d it:


The Chainsaw Kittens were a part of the American alternative rock scene…For various reasons, primary among them a pronounced lack of major label support, the Kittens saw little commercial success. However, they have since gained recognition in such sources as Allmusic and the Trouser Press as one of the best groups of their era.”


Fair enough. I was able to track down a couple of their albums. I got Flipped Out In Singapore:



I got Pop Heiress:



I got High In High School:




Straight forward alterna-rock drums, jangly guitars, sort of weird singer. It all works; not just as an artifact of 90s independent rock, but also for it’s own purposes as a kick ass band.


Check out this shit!


Pop Heiress Dies - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8kwPdsZ1Cg


Connie, I’ve Found The Door - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdBXHp5WrU


High In High School - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzGX3EBg954

No comments:

Post a Comment